Here’s a project I’ve been waiting, and waiting, and waiting to do.
It involves spray painting, so I’ve really just been waiting on the warm weather.
Just when I think it’s getting warm enough to spray paint.. NOPE!.. we’re hit with a blizzard.. in the middle of April!
Well, we’ve had 2 days in a row that have been in the 80’s, and no snow in the forecast. So I figured it was finally time to conquer this upcycling project!
1. clean, dry formula tubs
2. spray paint that adheres to plastic
3. scrapbook paper or fabric
4. scissors and ruler or paper cutter
5. lettering – stencils, cutouts, stickers, stamps, vinyl – you choose
6. glue – I used Mod Podge
7. soda can tabs
8. hot glue
Start with clean, dry formula tubs. If you can’t get your hands on some formula tubs, I’m sure there are other items that would work. For instance, the french fried onion tubs are similar, but just a little smaller.
(Let me just say, I’m all for breastfeeding! But my health and the medications I take made that a challenge for me, so that’s why I have these tubs)
Carefully pop the covers off. If you do this too fast, the little plastic rods will snap and go flying. The covers are fairly easy to take off.
Spray paint the tubs. Mine only took one coat, but it was a paint and primer in one.
Next, take your scrapbook paper or fabric and cut it into strips. My paper was 12 x 12. It wasn’t long enough to wrap all the way around the tub, but enough to cover the sides that would be showing.
I cut my paper at 3.5 inch intervals. So my strip size was 12 x 3.5. You can of course make wider or narrower strips depending on how much of the paint you want to show or how big your letters are.
My paper cutter has been on the winning side of hide-and-seek since we moved to this house almost 2 years ago. I was pregnant at the time, so family helped pack us up, which resulted in not knowing what went in what box! There’s a lot of hiding items yet to be found. So I had to cut my strips in the more time consuming way.
I could only get 3 strips out of one paper. So for the fourth strip, I started up 1 inch from the bottom of a second piece of paper before cutting my 3.5 inch strip. That way none of the 4 strips would be identical.
Does that make sense? In other words, if I hadn’t done that, my first and fourth strip would be identical because they would be cut from the same edge of each piece of paper.
I forgot to take pictures of this next part.
Glue your strips to the tub. Put glue on the center of your strip and position it on the front center of your tub. I found it easier to not have glue on the whole strip while I was trying to get it in the right position. Once you’re happy with where it is, glue down the rest of the paper.
Then I got my lettering ready. It took me awhile to decide how I wanted to do the letters. At first, I wanted to stencil them on with a creamy white paint that matched my scrapbook paper. But when I tried it out on a scrap piece, it didn’t come away with clean edges.
So I decided to go vinyl! This was actually perfect, since vinyl is repositional, you don’t have to worry about crooked, unevenly spaced letters.
Unfortunately, I’m not blessed to own a Cricut or Silhouette, so I used the same method I used to make the monogram for L’s nursery. You can read about it HERE.
I traced letters on to the back of my vinyl, making sure to trace unsymmetrical ones backwards. (ignore the extra markings in the picture, they are leftovers from a different project) Then I carefully cut out each letter.
Now add your letters! Mine say: OPEN, PAY, AWAY, ITEMS. Short words worked best for me, but yours can say what ever you want. Other examples: IN, OUT, PENS, KEYS, SUPPLIES, STAMPS, COUPONS, RECEIPTS.
We’re not only going to upcycle the tubs, but upcycle some soda can tabs! They will be used to hang the tubs to the wall.
There are different ways of doing this. The most common way is putting a screw through the little hole on the bottom of the tab to attach it to your item. Well… 1. I can never get the tabs off with those little circles in tact. And 2. I didn’t want an unsightly hole going through the container. I opted for hot glue.
I bent each tab slightly while holding it over the edge of my kitchen counter. Then, I marked the same spot on the back of each container as a guide, and glued them on. I added an extra layer of hot glue on the top to really bury the tab in glue.
Thanks for stopping by today! If you have any questions about this project, please put them in the comment section.
Remember, if you post about this project, please be sure to give me credit and link back to me or grab a button from the sidebar. Thanks!